Thursday 7 March 2013

The Code Of The Woosters (Jeeves #7)

Hardcover, Everyman Wodehouse, 208 pages
Published April 28th 2000 by Everyman's Library (first published 1938)

ISBN
1841591009 (ISBN13: 9781841591001)
edition language
English
original title
The Code of the Woosters
series
setting
Synopsis-
Nothing but trouble can ensue when Bertie Wooster's Aunt Dahlia instructs him to steal a silver jug from Totleigh Towers, home of magistrate and hell-hound, Sir Watkyn Bassett. First he must face the peril of Sir Watkyn's droopy daughter, Madeline, and then the terrors of would-be Dictator, Roderick Spode and his gang of Black Shorts. But when duty calls, Bertram answers, and so there follows what he himself calls 'the sinister affair of Gussie Fink-Nottle, Madeline Bassett, old Pop Bassett, Stiffy Byng, the Rev H.P. ('Stinker') Pinker, the eighteenth-century cow-creamer and the small, brown, leather-covered notebook'. In a plot with more twists than an English country lane, it takes all the ingenuity of Jeeves to extract his master from the soup again.

My Review-
 
As I go on in my voyage of devouring the B&J series, I realise how different the idea of a hero is for P.G. Wodehouse. Bertie maybe rich but he is like no other protagonist. Jeeves is one of the main charaters but even after all this reading that I’ve done, I’m pretty unsure of who he really is. He might be intelligent and clever but sometimes I feel unsure of where does his loyalty really lie.

At the heart of each story lies Bertie Wooster who is a pro at making mess and then there is Jeeves who is there to save the day with his brains. That doesn’t change much with all of the books I’ve read so far. Aunt Dahlia has sent Bertie to Totleigh Towers to steal a silver jug. This is no cakewalk and involves a lot twists. The twists and turns here are perfectly timed and leave you in a state of shock while you roll on the floor roaring with laughter. The whole night I kept on saying to myself just one more chapter and I go to sleep. That unfortunately did not happen. With red droopy eyes that were craving sleep I read this book. I do not regret not sleeping the whole night. It was completely worth it.

Here. Check this out.

I suppose even Dictators have their chummy moments, when they put their feet up and relax with the boys, but it was plain from the outset that if Roderick Spode had a sunnier side, he had not come with any idea of exhibiting it now. His manner was curt. One sensed the absence of the bonhomous note.
...
Here he laid a hand on my shoulder, and I can't remember when I have experienced anything more unpleasant. Apart from what Jeeves would have called the symbolism of the action, he had a grip like the bite of a horse.
"Did you say 'Oh yes?'" he asked.
"Oh no," I assured him."

0 comments:

Post a Comment